Home

Friday, November 20, 2009

Madeleine Vionnet and Art Deco


A friend showed me this very interesting book. Its main argument is that Art Deco fashion was greatly influenced by Cubism. I found the argument contrived and not at all convincing but it didn't stop me enjoying the wonderful images of Art Deco style garments.


One of my favourite designers in the book is Madeleine Vionnet. She was known for her great skill in working with fabric on the bias. In this 1932 dress step-shaped, bias-cut panels make a sheath that skims the body. So revolutionary!


This 1929 silk wedding dress looks as though it was made from a large leaf.


It is so elegant with its 7 foot train.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can you tell me where you saw the Madeleine Vionnet wedding dress?

Is it in a museum archive?

Thanks.

Mary

Lesley Turner said...

Hi Mary, I got the image out of the book. i don't know where the dress is but would love to go see it. Please let me know when you find it!

VeganMinimal said...

I absolutely love that dress. I seems timeless and could be worn even today on a red carpet event. Amazing!

Ebba said...

The leaf-inspired wedding dress is really gorgeous! (it's kept at metropolitan museum in New York if you're still interested)
I just have to thank you for showing me this amazing designer!

Lesley Turner said...

Yes, it is amazing - timeless