Home

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Lasagna Gardening

About a year ago my sister showed us how to convert lawn to garden.
On top of cut grass we layered: newspaper, cardboard, grass clippings, leaves, coffee grounds, manure + topsoil, and finally a top soil layer. 

\
Now I have planted a green mulch - comfrey.

I laid down a layer of paper around the plants to suppress the weeds until the comfry plants take hold.

A layer of Douglas-fir mulch holds the paper in place and also acts as a weed suppressant.
It is all an experiment.


2 comments:

Margaret said...

You've piqued my interest, Lesley! A friend and I have undertaken to restore a small public garden bed that had grown over. I cleared out some of the prairie grass by hand but it is growing back around the plants we put in (succulents, mostly, for a sunny, dry spot not near a source of water). It is easy to see that simply clearing the land and putting in a layer of topsoil/planting medium wasn't enough. I am interested to see if the newsprint/mulch barrier really works. May try it here, too.

Lesley Turner said...

Sounds like a perfect spot to make lasagna