Home

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Screen Printing - Stencils


I made a print board from insulation foam, an old wool blanket, vinyl and an old poly-cotton bed sheet.
   

Ready to go, starting with primary coloured Procion MX dyes.

Working with a newspaper stencil is the 1st technique on Kerr Grabowski's 'Deconstructed Screen Printing for Fabric and Paper' DVD.
The image fuzziness is an example of learning from mistakes. The cloth was too wet when I rolled it up in plastic and left it for 12 hours for the dye  molecules to bond. The water encouraged the dye molecules to continue migrating.

More often I would be working for a crisper image but now I know how to make a fuzzy one when I want to.
The spots(drips) on this sample show where I learnt the ideal viscosity for the print paste.
Both valuable lessons to learn.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

marny said...

Wow, Lesley, I'm SO impressed you made your own screens!!!
Are you working on ideas for a new class??? a new project??
Or maybe, gasp, just having fun!!!

Lesley Turner said...

all of the above!!!

Lesley Turner said...

all of the above!!!