Home

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Post Cards From Fundy #4


The 4th post card is about the Bay of Fundy in the early 19th century.
Everything 'classical' was all the rage.
Here is the 'stamp' in progress.

Many hours have been spent on the design of these post cards. I made mock-ups in paper (the inside of security envelopes) to check the range and distribution of values. I also use my camera to get black and white images so I can check the values are working.

I sampled the type and colour of stitching to use to attach the textiles: How wide to make the zig zag, how close together so the stitching showed but didn't dominate.

Auditioning different braids and cords to use as the lines on the post card.


This...

...or this?
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Margaret said...

Hmmm...Not knowing the dimensions...I am thinking the elaborate embroidered ribbon is a bit 'much' and distracts from the beautiful 'brocade' patches...but the thread-like alternative isn't quite 'enough' some how...

Something in between?

ReBecca P said...

Are these for Bridging Water Lesley? They will make a wonderfulll display

Lesley Turner said...

Thanks for you helpful comments Margaret - see my next post.

Lesley Turner said...

Yes, ReBecca, they are for the Bridging Waters exhibition. Thanks.