Home

Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Nana Knitting: A Cobbler of New Baby Booties

Nana Knitting - 1st outfit
Included in the 1st outfit I knit as a New-Nana-To-Be was a pair of booties for a newborn. I used a Churchmouse pattern that most resembled the most successful booties my 3 cherubs had worn i.e they could not be kicked off. Churchmouse calls them Stay-on Baby Booties

I lined this first pair with the softest white rabbit fur.

After this initial success, I set up a cobbler bench and went into production.
 
The next pair got a soft, gray rabbit fur sole.

Then I worked with sheepskin. The wool was so thick I didn't think there would be much room for the foot but sewed on knowing they would be warm on a frigid cold Edmonton winter outing in the stroller/pram.

I made several sizes and varied the knitting stitch patterns to keep the knitting interesting.

The sheepskin ones got I-cord ties and longer turn-down cuffs.

The rabbit fur ones got twisted cord ties.

Osmund William Lackey
Here they are being worn by their owner, who had arrived by this time.
His parents have decided to give him privacy at this stage in his life. No images of him are put on the internet. However, I did get permission to show this much of him. I wanted to show how well the booties fit. The square box (cobbler talk for the toe area) allows plenty of room for feet to wiggle around unrestricted.

Here is another photo of Ozzie
Notice the grey rabbit fur sticking out around the join. I trimmed this off which solved the problem.
I'll write another post later about my experimenting and testing of toddler shoes but the next post will be about my work as Oz's hatter.

4 comments:

Quiltgirl said...

What sweet little booties. Given the temps in Alberta right now he might still be wearing them, April or not!

Unknown said...

Do you make adult ones ? They are adorable

Lesley Turner said...

Yes, Calgary has yet to have its snowiest month. He will need warm shoes for a couple more months. Back to my cobbler bench.

Lesley Turner said...

No, I don't make adult ones. I am kept busy just keeping up production for his fast-growing feet.